You get into your vehicle, and the interior lights come on. You put your key in the ignition, and the dashboard lights up. You turn your key a little further, but it won’t turn on.
There are many reasons why a car won’t start.
Here are a few of them:
- Dead battery: It could be a problem with your battery. You may have enough battery to turn some things on, but you don’t have enough to turn your car on. Battery failure can occur for several reasons.
- Starter: If you turn the ignition or press the ignition start button, and you hear it click but nothing happens, it may be a sign that your starter or starter solenoid is bad. Other symptoms are covered in this article.
- Fuel system problem: Your vehicle may not turn on if it has a fuel system problem. It could be anything from a clogged fuel filter, a fuel pump not working, or even the fuel tank being empty of gas. Even if the fuel gauge reads that you have fuel, it may be reading incorrectly.
- Transmission sensor: Some vehicles may experience a no-start condition, because of the neutral safety switch that’s in the transmission. It could be bad or a gear shifter problem that’s not aligning correctly on what some people refer to as the PRNDL. You may want to make sure it’s in park or neutral before starting the car.
- Anti-theft system: Another reason a vehicle may not start is if the anti-theft system is activated. Even though you use the key for the car, it can actually cause the vehicle to not start. One indication of this is if the security light is flashing while the ignition is on. Also, most keys have some type of chip or transmitter that the car receives, and it’s not uncommon for them to go bad.
Steve’s Auto Repair & Tire is an authorized Goodyear tire dealer located in Woodbridge, Virginia. Automotive repair services are performed on all makes and models, including BMW and Mercedes. Services include oil changes, brakes, alignments, inspections, and computer engine diagnostics.